FOR EVERY DOG OWNER…PLEASE READ

Please share this with all the pet owners you know and ask them to do the same – the information you take a few minutes to share might prevent the senseless loss of other pets.
         
        
         cid:1.3554030230@web81605.mail.mud.yahoo.com
  
Please   tell  every dog or cat owner you know. Even if   you don’t have a pet,  please pass this to those   who do.
Over the weekend,   the doting  owner of two young lab mixes  purchased Cocoa Mulch from Target to use in their  garden. The dogs loved the way it smelled and it was advertised to keep cats away from  their garden.  Their dog  (Calypso) decided the mulch smelled good enough to eat and devoured a large helping.  She vomited a few times which was typical when she eats something new but wasn’t acting lethargic in any  way.  The next day, Mom woke up and took Calypso out for her morning  walk . Half way through the walk, the dog had a seizure and died instantly.   Although the mulch had NO warnings printed on the  label, upon further investigation on the company’s web site, we found that   
This product is HIGHLY toxic to dogs  and cats.Cocoa Mulch is  manufactured by Hershey’s, and they claim that “It is true that studies have shown that 50% of the dogs that eat Cocoa  Mulch can suffer physical harm to a variety of degrees (depending on each individual dog).  However, 98% of all dogs won’t eat it.”
*Snopes site gives  the following   information: http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/cocoamulch.asp*   Cocoa Mulch,  which is sold by Home  Depot, Foreman’s  Garden Supply and other Garden supply  stores contains a  lethal ingredient called  ‘Theobromine‘. It  is lethal to dogs and  cats. It  smells like  chocolate and it really  attracts dogs.  They will ingest this stuff  and  die. Several deaths  already occurred in the last  2-3 weeks.

Theobromine is in all chocolate,  especially dark or baker’s  chocolate which is  toxic to dogs. Cocoa bean shells contain potentially toxic quantities of theobromine, axanthine compound similar in effects to caffeine and theophylline.  A dog that  ingested a lethal quantity of garden mulch made from cacao bean  shells developed  severe convulsions and died 17 hours later.  Analysis  of the stomach contents and the ingested cacao bean shells  revealed the presence of lethal amounts of theobromine.  
     
**PLEASE   PASS  THIS ON**   

Advertisements

1 Comment

    Trackbacks

    1. Chocolate in Dogs And Cats – A Common Pet Poison » The Spice Style

    Leave a Reply

    Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

    WordPress.com Logo

    You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

    Twitter picture

    You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

    Facebook photo

    You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

    Google+ photo

    You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

    Connecting to %s

    %d bloggers like this: